This page provides a guide to T4L posts and videos and links to related external articles to help you choose the best streaming media player and content provider options for you.
The Content Providers
General Information about Streaming Media
Learn the basic concepts of streaming media across devices and content providers and get answers to common questions.
Introduction to Streaming Media
Record Streaming Videos with PlayOn
How to Watch Your Personal Media Collection Through a Streaming Media Player
Frequently Asked Questions about Streaming Media
- Do I need a computer to use a streaming media player?
- Do I need Internet service to use a streaming media player?
- How fast does my Internet connection need to be for streaming movies and TV shows?
- How many gigs of data do I need to watch streaming media?
- Can I stream content using my cellphone’s data plan?
- I have a limited data plan with my Internet service provider. Does my player stream data even when I’m not using it?
- Can I use a VPN service with a streaming media player?
- Do I need cable or satellite service to use a streaming media player?
- How does a streaming media player work with my cable/satellite service?
- Can I watch “regular TV” through a streaming player?
- If I have a streaming media player and an antenna, can I cancel my cable/satellite service?
- Do I need a Smart TV to use a streaming media player?
- All my HDMI ports are already being used. Is there a way to add a streaming player without unplugging another device?
- Can I connect multiple streaming players to the same TV?
- I have multiple TVs. Do I need a separate player for each one?
- Can I use a streaming media player with an older TV?
- How do I switch back to watch regular TV?
- If I buy a Roku/Fire TV/Apple TV/Chromecast, is that a one-time cost or do I have to pay annually?
- If I buy a streaming media player, why do I need to pay to watch videos?
- What are the costs of the various streaming services you can use with your streaming media player?
- Can I watch videos saved on my computer, phone, tablet, or external hard drive on TV using a streaming media player?
- Can I use a streaming media player outside the United States?
- Can I record streaming videos with my DVR?
Streaming TV Players
Learn more about specific devices that can take content from the Internet and display it on your TV.
Amazon Fire TV
Device Comparison Chart
Streaming Media Players and Content Around the World
Using Streaming Media Players with a Mobile Hotspot
The Content Providers
These posts discuss where you can find the content you want to watch through your streaming player.
Comparing Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu
Roku Private Channels: What Are They and How Do You Get Them?